Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Turkey shepherd's Pie, 40 Minute Rolls

So much for posting everyday huh. We do eat everyday. With 4 boys that is a given! I just got distracted for a while.

Another thing I didn't think through is how often I repeat dinners. I'm sure any readers don't need to know how to roast a whole chicken every two weeks.

So now I am changing things up again. I'll post what we are having as I have time. When I have a new, winning recipe, like today, I'll include the recipe.

This past grocery trip I didn't have my full menu planned out. Now I am paying for it. Yesterday I pulled a lb of ground turkey out of the freezer with no set plan for it. I have pretty much run turkey burgers into the ground. Bri is wanting more beef again. We have also had enough Mexican for awhile. What's left? So I googled recipes and found shepherd's pie. Unsure what the family would think, I used an old trick of having the kids help make it. That way, since they had a hand in the preparation, they would be more excited to try something new. That and dessert to bribe with. ;-) So here it is.

Turkey Shepherd's Pie

2 Tbl oil
1 onion, chopped
1-2 stalks celery, sliced thin
2 lbs ground turkey (I just used 1 lb)
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
3 cups chicken broth
2 carrots, sliced into thin coins
1/2 cup frozen peas
3-4 cups prepared mashed potatoes, slightly thinned with milk if necessary
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

* preheat oven to 400
* prepare mashed potatoes
* Cook onion and celery in oil with meat until meat is no longer pink
* sprinkle flour over meat mixture along with salt, pepper, and thyme
* stir in broth, bring to boil
* stir in vegetables, cook 5 minutes
* Pour into a 9x13
* spoon potatoes over mixture, spread evenly
* sprinkle with cheese
* bake 25-30 minutes

40 Minute Hamburger Buns


Makes 12 buns or use smaller balls to make rolls

2 Tbl active dry yeast
1 cup plus 2 Tbl warm water (110-115*)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp salt
3-3 1/2 cups flour (I used 1/2 cup rye)
In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; let stand 5 minutes. Add the egg, salt and enough flour to form a soft dough. turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Do not let rise. divide into 12 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 3 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Bake at 425 for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment